Under the direction of the Mechanical Supervisor, the Mechanical Tech I will work to obtain and demonstrate all tasks and skills necessary to mechanically maintain cement plant operations.
- This position assists with a wide variety of maintenance and repair duties throughout the cement plant while learning the skills required to perform these tasks
- Apprentice has up to one year to meet the skill set and safety requirements of a Maintenance Technician
- Performs other duties and special projects as required
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or Equivalent, some college or related trade school training strongly preferred
- Must have minimum of two years’ experience in heavy process equipment or a minimum of six months experience cement plant or similar operations
- Mechanical maintenance experience preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must have a strong mechanical aptitude.
- Must understand lock-out procedure, confined space procedures, proper guarding and other safety requirements
- Ability to understand and follow safety rules and procedures.
- Ability to understand tool room and warehouse procedures.
- Ability to drill and ream.
- Skill in use of basic hand tools including gauges, tape measure, squares and levels.
- Ability to use taps and dies.
- Ability to inspect and operate mobile equipment safely.
- Ability to use manual and motorized hoists.
- Ability to understand and execute work instructions.
- Ability to learn and develop safety tool box talks.
- Ability to read and understand equipment parts and assembly manuals (schematics as needed)
- Ability to exhibit basic skills in shielding arc welding (stick)
- Ability to write feedback on work orders.
- Ability to take call-outs.
- Ability to use e-mails.
- Ability to use computers.
- Ability to use phone to text and e-mail
- Must have excellent work and safety record
- Climb up to 60 feet above ground on ladders and catwalks
- Stooping, bending, kneeling a minimum of 25 times per day
- Lift 75 lbs. three times per day, floor to waist level
- Walk/stand on uneven ground, walkways and catwalks throughout the work day
- Climb ladders, steps and inclined walks minimum of 2 hours per day
- Carry 50 lbs. minimum of 50 feet, 5 times per day
- Communicate in person or by radio minimum of 2 hours per day
- Manually position crane lifted parts and equipment and lift up to 80 lbs. parts waist high for mounting
- Ability to operate maintenance trucks, forklifts and man lifts (standard and automatic)
- Install and repair various parts while kneeling, bent over or overhead
- Work in tight areas to install and handle heavy parts (sideliners, slinger pans and other equipment)
- Ability to handle steel, machine parts and tools weighing up to 80 lbs. and assist others with this work
- Ability to work at heights up to 350’.
- Ability to use tools such as impact plant wrenches up to 2” drive torque wrenches, hand and power tools and sledge hammers up to 12 hours
- Physical requirements include visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination, standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, climbing on equipment, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, twisting, balancing, climbing on equipment, working at heights up to 350 feet, repetitive motion, and squatting - all for extended periods of time (up to 12 hours) to perform the essential functions
- Must be able to work days or nights as required during equipment outages.
- Must be able to use proper Personal Protective Equipment as required.
Must work outside in all weather conditions: heat, cold, dust, and wet a minimum of 8 hrs. per day. Work in high noise level areas while wearing proper PPE. May have exposure to dust, cement, clinker, limestone, clay, gypsum, sand, diesel exhaust, lubricants, solvents, various fuels, etc. (See MSDS’s)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.