Under the direction of the Production Manager, and working together with the production supervisor and control room operators, this position is responsible for monitoring and maximizing the kiln operation/raw material preparation and process systems.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Oversee the day-to-day operation of the kiln, preheater/pre-calciner, raw material & fuel preparation [including alternative fuels], and the raw mill system.
- Review and analyze operational data to evaluate and recommend changes for efficient and continuous operation.
- Ensures management is aware of trends and operational issues in a timely manner and is responsible for communicating proposed solutions.
- Leads daily consultation with the Kiln Supervisor and Shift Supervisors to discuss and evaluate kiln performance and the resulting impact on overall production.
- Facilitates operational approach to ensure production goals are met on a daily basis.
- Provide technical expertise to diagnose delays in operations, leading the efforts to remedy problems by taking appropriate actions to restore correct operating procedures. Advise management and operations staff on necessary adjustments and changes to protocols to minimize future incidents. Oversees the implementation of corrective action.
- Collaborates with the plant Quality Control Department to meet product specifications and production goals.
- Participates in projects and communicates maintenance requirements with the plant Maintenance Department.
- Ensure compliance with plant policies & procedures, safety, environmental, state and federal process regulations.
- Direct all material handling and refractory replacement projects. Responsible for the selection and execution of all refractory and relining project.
- Analyzes and interprets Pyro process data for other departments as required.
- Ensures maximum utilization and performance of process equipment.
- Maintains up to date industry knowledge of kiln/raw mill operations.
- Participates in the Plant on call schedule.
- Responsible for cost control as well as achieving the maintenance and production cost targets in the kiln department.
- Participates in CI project opportunities under MM Lean initiatives.
- Monitors plant’s production KPIs on regular basis and coordinate plans to improve them in coordination with different departments.
- Conducts, coordinate and participate on Root Cause Analysis of major kiln/raw mill/cooler system equipment downtimes.
- Performs inspections on kiln/preheater precalciner/cooler during kiln stop periods.
- Performs inspections on raw mill system during kiln stop periods and PM days.
- Perform quarterly process assessments on kiln/ cooler & raw mill systems, and initiate actions to improve equipment performance. Performs field tests with other process engineers, reports on findings and plan of action to address deficiencies.
- Assists in the development and monitoring of procedures and programs to increase process efficiency, equipment performance, product quality and working conditions
- Ensures that all federal, state and company safety regulations are met consistently and that employees are trained/understand and comply with these safety standards
- Identifies and implements new and improved methods of production. Keep abreast of changes in technology and innovative production methods, as well as current trends in the industry
- Other duties as assigned by manager
Minimum Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in chemical engineering or equal, preferred but not essential if;
- Tecnical/managerial experien
- Knowledge of all phases of cement production, including field process measurements and calculations to facilitate heat and material balances, finish mill audits, and audit reports with recommendations on actions needed.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills to facilitate positive working relationships with all levels of management and staff
- Working knowledge of MS Office and other job related computer applications. Ability to quickly learn any software needed to perform duties
- Ability to speak clearly in English and be understood in conversation and on telephones/radios
- Ability to respond decisively to emergencies
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in problem solving
- Knowledge of all relevant safety regulations and strong commitment to safety
- Promote proper safety practices and accident prevention
- Ability to effectively direct, motivate and coach the activities of others
- Strong written/verbal communication, analytical, and mechanical skills
- Excellent work ethic – high standard of performance and production.
- Exercise independent decision-making, prioritize conflicting demands
- Must understand Lockout/Tagout/Tryout procedure and safety requirements
- Must understand Confined Space entry procedure and safety requirements
- Ability to travel on occasion
- ce in cement kiln production of more than 5 years.
- Climb ladder and/or stairs up to 150 feet
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time (up to eight hours), stand, stoop, and bend.
- Manual dexterity to operate telephone, personal computer, fax and copy machines and other office equipment.
- Ability to drive automobile to various plant sites and work locations.
- Ability to wear PPE, including hard hat, steel toed boots, safety eye wear and hearing protection.
- Ability to walk up to 200 yards over rough, uneven, and/or wet and slippery terrain.
- Ability to climb on equipment to provide supervision as necessary.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds up to 10 times a day.
Must be able to work in all weather conditions (heat, cold, and rain). Must be able to work in noisy environment with noise levels up to 120 dba. Must be able to work in environments including vibration and mechanical and electrical hazards. Must be able to work any assigned shift. May have exposure to dust, cement, clay, gypsum, sand, diesel exhaust, lubricants, solvents, various fuels, etc. (See MSDS’s)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.